Saturday, October 31, 2009

Show review 10/30/09

Big D and The Kids Table Halloween show with Tip The Van, Roll The Tanks. (there was another opening band but I burritos to eat and cigarettes to smoke.)

Location: Allston, MA

Tip The Van-

Catchy. Upbeat. Ska. Three hot girls and three guys with mustaches. Fuck. Yeah.

Roll The Tanks-

I listened to Roll The Tanks on the internet before going to the show, wasn't too impressed. But despite my pre-judgements on them, they put on a sick show. A lot of energy, a lot of passion, lots of political angst. Plus they gave a shout out to Lowell, which led me to have a man crush on the majestically bearded front man.

Big D and The Kids Table-

They opened with songs off of Fluent in Stroll, which is quite possibly the worst ska, er stroll, album ever made. They were relentless with it. Nearly half the set was made up of songs off of the album. The other half comprised of Shining On, 5 Kids Down, LAX, New England, and some other songs off of Strictly Rude that I don't care about.

But no matter how bad the relentlessness got, I was holding out on them playing Checklist, and all would have been redeemed. But alas, Checklist was never played.

Big D needs to understand that no one other than themselves likes Fluent In Stroll. At one point in the show David McWane asked the crowd "Who loves our new album?" About 3 people clapped. No one was into any of the songs they were playing. It was the first Big D show that I had ever been too that hasn't had nearly every person in crowd running around and screaming like maniacs. I want my old Big D back. I want my David McWane to be drunk, angry, and yelling about authority. Not stoned, happy, and talking about peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment